Deirdre is a practising solicitor and AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) and advises in a range of areas including commercial & residential property, commercial contract claims, trust & succession law and family law.
On the property side, Deirdre has experience advising both property developer and private individuals in the acquisition, lease, disposal and development of sites and the funding of same. In addition, Deirdre has experience assisting corporate clients in rectifying complicated title defects to commercial property involving state property issues.
In the area of litigation Deirdre has acted for companies and private individuals in both simple contract debt claims and complicated commercial disputes involving multiple parties and several sets of proceedings. Deirdre has represented individuals in commercial court and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Since qualifying in Amorys, a busy general practice, Deirdre has represented clients in family law judicial separation and divorce proceedings in the Circuit Court, High Court and the Court of Appeal.
Deirdre also advises both resident & non-resident personal representatives in the administration of estates, often with cross-border components and tax considerations.
As regards wills, probate and succession law, Deirdre has advised clients in contentious disputes relating to wills, trusts, inheritances, powers of attorney and protection of dependent family members and advises on estate planning opportunities with a goal of avoiding post-death disputes.
With a practice partially focused on succession law Deirdre is currently a candidate for the Law Society of Ireland Trust & Estate Planning diploma with a view to qualifying as a Trust & Estate Practitioner (TEP) in late 2021.
Deirdre tutored on the Law Society trainee Professional Practice Course in 2018 and 2019 and until October 2020 was co-chair of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association Younger Members Committee for many years.
- Recently acted in a large complex commercial property project involving a sale of a site located in a Strategic Development Zone in Dublin conditional on the delivery of a new building. This involved consideration of complicated planning and tax issues.
- Acted on behalf of multiple judgment debtors in complicated High Court bankruptcy petition which resulted in debtors being paid in full. This case involved considerations of the effect of bankruptcy on a creditor’s assets.
- Acted on behalf of consumer client in a complaint made to what is now known as the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman against a financial institution where the latter asserted rights based on alleged cross-securitisation of assets of a deceased customer with those of our client, the deceased’s spouse. A settlement agreement was reached at the exchange of information stage which was one of the largest sums agreed under the remit of the FSPO at the time.
- Successfully obtained a declaration of enforceability of a foreign judgment against a creditor in Ireland. In this case, Deirdre assisted her judgment debtor client in securing a protective order against an Irish asset which ultimately facilitated repayment of the debt. This case involved complicated issues of International law.
- Acted as an assistant solicitor in the representation of a company in an application to appoint a provisional liquidator to a client company with a view to facilitating a sale of the business and ensuring the protection of employees.
- Acted as an assistant solicitor representing multiple co-owners of a nursing home seeking the return of tax-incentivised investment in complicated commercial proceedings. This case involved multiple sets of proceedings against multiple defendants in the Commercial Court, the Circuit Court and the High Court.
|Certificate in Commercial Contracts||The Law Society of Ireland|
|Admitted as a solicitor||Law Society of England and Wales|
|Admitted as a solicitor||The Law Society of Ireland|
|AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA)||Irish Taxation Institute|
|Bachelors of Civil Law (Hons)||University College Dublin|
Currently a candidate for the Law Society of Ireland Trust & Estate Planning diploma with a view to qualifying as a Trust & Estate Practitioner (TEP) in late 2021.